Calamitous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calamitous

A Darkfall Clan on NA-1

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Possible Fix for Some Latency Issues -- updating Java in Darkfall

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Killer

Killer

Possible Fix for Some Latency Issues -- updating Java in Darkfall Empty
PostSubject: Possible Fix for Some Latency Issues -- updating Java in Darkfall   Possible Fix for Some Latency Issues -- updating Java in Darkfall I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 5:15 pm

The solution that seems to have worked for me is to update the Java Runtime Environment that Darkfall uses. To do this, you will need to install 7-Zip ( http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z465.exe ), and download JRE ( http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/downlo...BundleId=33889 ). Once you have done that, make sure Darkfall and Lobby are closed, then follow these steps:

1) Browse to the directory that you installed Darkfall to ( Start>Run "%PROGRAMFILES%\Darkfall" or "%PROGRAMFILES%\Darkfall US", usually )

2) Copy and paste the jre folder to another location to use as a backup if you have any problems with the new version

3) Do NOT delete the jre folder after you back it up

4) Use 7-Zip to open the JRE file you downloaded

5) Extract the core.zip file to wherever

6) Use 7-Zip to open the core.zip file

7) Extract the contents to the jre directory inside your Darkfall directory ( You should get a message asking to overwrite some files. You DO want to do this, so click the All button next to Overwrite button in 7-Zip )

Cool Browse into the jre directory, then open the bin folder. Find and right-click on java.exe. Select Properties. Select the Version tab ( In XP ). Verify that the version 6.0.160.1 ( Current version at the time of writing this )

9) Launch Darkfall Repair Data and Play!

Summary:
I still get latency spikes every now and then when crossing zone/cluster boundaries or if my FPS drops out for whatever reason, but so far the 60 second latency spikes have disappeared entirely.

Hope this helps. It also boosted my FPS slightly, so I suppose that is always a plus.

Notes:
The final step is just to ensure that your game files are not corrupted. I noticed that the issue came back after a crash, but it was fixed again once I ran Darfall Repair Data.

If you are doing this in Vista, you will need to be sure to run 7-Zip as Administrator before you can extract the contents of core.zip into the jre directory.
Back to top Go down
Killer

Killer

Possible Fix for Some Latency Issues -- updating Java in Darkfall Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible Fix for Some Latency Issues -- updating Java in Darkfall   Possible Fix for Some Latency Issues -- updating Java in Darkfall I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 5:26 pm

Took this from the DF forums and my journal actually seems a bit more responsive.
Back to top Go down

Possible Fix for Some Latency Issues -- updating Java in Darkfall
Page 1 of 1